Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Leek Veggie Soup

I've never cooked with leeks before and with them currently in season, now is the perfect time . I was very excited about my leek undertaking (I geek out about food, what can I say) and for my first venture, I decided to make a brightly flavored leek and vegetable soup.  I found that the tartness of the lemon juice and the mild, onion-flavor of the leeks balanced beautifully.
Ingredients:
One large stalk of leek cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 carrots, cut into semi-circles
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup whole canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Once oil is heated, add the leeks, garlic and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften. Add the carrots and continue to cook for 2-3  minutes.


Add the stock, tomatoes and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment