Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Marinara Sauce

I strongly believe in sauce - mostly every food I can think can be enhanced by being dipped in, drizzled with or doused in sauce. Sure there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. I woke up yesterday morning craving one of my very favorite marinara sauces. It's simple to make and arguably one of the best things to come out of one of my failed relationships (he gave me The North End Italian Cookbook, which this recipe is adapted from).
Ingredients:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon mixed dried Italian herbs
28 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes, hand crushed or chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh basil, chopped

In large heavy skillet, on low heat, slowly heat the oil, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes and dried Italian herbs. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is brown. Raise heat to medium-high and add tomatoes and carrots. Let sauce come to soft boil and cook for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and basil. Use blender or hand immersion blender to reach desired texture (I gently pulsed for about 20 seconds).

No comments:

Post a Comment