Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

I think I'm coming down with the flu, which really, really sucks. Since there's not much more you can do for the flu beyond sleeping lots and keeping hydrated,  I decided to make a comforting butternut squash soup for dinner.
I hadn't made a squash soup before, so I'm thrilled that it turned out well! If you like curry and squash, this is a must try.

Ingredients:
1 roasted butternut squash (I quartered mine for a faster cooking time)
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin
salt and ground pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish

Steps:
Scoop flesh out of squash with a spoon (I don't have an immersion blender or any sort of blender, so I smashed up the flesh with a fork). In a medium saucepan, toast garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, cumin. After 30 seconds to a minute (once the spices begin letting off a fragrant aroma), add to broth, flesh of squash, salt and pepper. Set pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes. If you have an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Stir in chopped cilantro and ladle into bowl(s).

*This soup could easily be made vegan by replacing chicken broth for veggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment